Dr. Shahzeer Karmali
- University of Alberta, Doctor of Medicine 2002
- LMCC 2002
- FRCSC 2007
- DABS-Diplomat of American Board of Surgery 2008
- FACS-Fellow American College of Surgeons 2009
- Masters of Public Health Practice-MPH 2013
- FASMBS-Fellow of American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery 2009
- DABS-Diplomat of American Board of Surgery 2017
Dr. Karmali graduated from the University of Alberta Medical School in 2002. He completed his General Surgery Residency at the University of Calgary and was certified in 2007 as a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons specializing in general surgery. A Minimally Invasive/Bariatric Surgery fellowship was completed in Houston, Texas in 2007/2008 with subsequent successful completion of the American Board of Surgery certification in 2008.
Dr Karmali is a full time Professor of Surgery at the University of Alberta. He is active in medical student and resident education. He is also well published in various aspects of minimally invasive surgery related to hernia repairs, foregut disorders and bariatric surgery. He works at the Royal Alexandra hospital as a General Surgeon with special interest in Minimally Invasive approaches to surgery. He routinely performs gallbladder operations, hernia surgeries, colorectal operations, foregut surgery and bariatric surgery.