Mission, Vision, Values and Guiding Principles
MissionThe MPO is a neutral and impartial agency that promotes a collaborative, fact-based, and focused approach to resolving disputes of medical opinion. We empower injured workers to have more involvement in the outcome of their claim.
The MPO is a trusted partner for providing fair, reasonable and efficient decisions for complex medical claims.
- We value injured worker's perspective, concerns and their time.
- We show respect for diversity and individual differences.
- We acknowledge the hardships and challenges the injured worker has experienced.
- We ensure privacy and confidentiality.
Fair and Equitable
- We provide full and fair opportunity to the worker to present their information without fear of being judged.
- We consider all available information without bias.
- Our approach to resolving medical disputes is based on the principles of administrative justice.
Open and Transparent
- We provide full explanation of MPO processes in dealing with complex medical issues.
- We answer worker's questions and concerns to the best of our ability.
- We provide clear evidence and adequate reasons for conclusions reached.
- We are an Independent and arms length organization from government, WCB and the Appeals Commission.
- Our decisions are unbiased and unaffected by any previous decisions and opinions expressed.
- We provide stand alone decisions based on the medical experience and expertise of the Panel members.
- We act in ways that builds and maintains trust of injured workers and all our stakeholders.
- We take steps to prevent and resolve any real, perceived or potential conflict.
- We work with our system partners for the common good of the injured worker.
- We strive for excellence in our services through continuous improvement.
- We support our staff in achieving their best by providing a safe, healthy and learning environment.
- Our Panel Members and Medical Examiners are all in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta and adhere to the highest standards of professional integrity.
- The MPO Members and staff are bound by the Code of Conduct and will uphold the enshrined Values in their daily activities.
- The MPO will ensure its actions uphold the highest standards of ethical behaviour.
- We are accountable for achieving outcomes, and carry out our work with diligence, pride, efficiency and transparency.
- We value collaboration, promote innovation and strive to be highly effective in our mandate.
- We strive to continually improve the quality of our services, policies and programs.
- We provide timely and effective decisions, through meaningful processes that move the worker's file closer to resolution.
- Worker Advocates
- WCB System Partners
- Oversight Partners
- Fair Practices Office
- Ethics Commissioner
- Public Agency Secretariat
- MPO Staff