Mission, Vision, Values and Guiding Principles
MissionThe Medical Panels Office (MPO) is a neutral and impartial agency that promotes a collaborative, fact-based, and focused approach to resolving differences of medical opinion. We empower Injured Workers to have more involvement in the outcome of their claim.
The MPO is a trusted partner for providing fair, reasonable, and efficient decisions for complex medical claims.
The MPO’s values highlight the beliefs that guide MPO staff (including contractors, Medical Panel physicians, and IME physicians) in their day-to-day interactions.
MPO staff demonstrate RESPECT by:
- valuing the perspectives, concerns, and time of the Injured Worker and all other stakeholders.
- acknowledging diversity, individual differences, and the challenges/hardships that the Injured Worker has experienced.
- protecting the privacy and confidentiality of personal information.
MPO staff demonstrate FAIRNESS by:
- providing a full and impartial opportunity to the Injured Worker (and all affected parties) to present their information without fear of being judged.
- considering all available information without bias.
- using the principles of administrative justice as a basis for resolving medical disagreements.
MPO staff demonstrate OPENNESS AND TRANSPARENCY by:
- providing a full explanation of MPO processes in dealing with complex medical issues.
- answering questions and concerns of Injured Workers and systems partners to the best of our ability.
- supporting conclusions that were reached with clear evidence and adequate reasoning.
MPO staff demonstrate INDEPENDENCE by:
- remaining at arms-length from government, the Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB), and the Appeals Commission.
- making decisions that are unbiased and unaffected by any previous decisions or opinions that have been expressed to the MPO.
- providing stand alone decisions based on the medical experience and expertise of the Panel members.
MPO staff demonstrate COLLABORATION by:
- acting in ways that builds and maintains the trust of injured workers and all our stakeholders.
- taking steps to prevent and/or resolve any real, perceived, or potential conflict.
- working with our system partners for the common good of the injured worker.
MPO staff demonstrate EXCELLENCE by:
- striving for excellence in service delivery through continuous improvement.
- supporting our staff in achieving their best by providing a safe, healthy and learning environment.
- selecting Panel Members and Independent Medical Examiners who are all in good standing with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta and adhere to the highest standards of professional integrity.
- The MPO Panel Members and staff are bound by our Code of Conduct and will uphold the enshrined Values in their daily activities.
- The MPO ensures its actions uphold the highest standards of ethical behaviour.
- The MPO is accountable for achieving outcomes, and carrying out our work with diligence, pride, efficiency, and transparency.
- The MPO values collaboration, promotes innovation, and endeavours to be highly effective and efficient in our mandate.
- The MPO strives to continually improve the quality of our services, policies and programs.
- The MPO provides timely and effective decisions, through meaningful processes that move the Injured Worker's file closer to resolution.
- Minister of Labour
- (Injured) Workers
- Worker Advocates
- WCB System Partners
- Workers’ Compensation Board
- Appeals Commission
- Oversight Partners
- Fair Practices Office
- Ethics Commissioner
- Public Agency Secretariat
- MPO Staff